Coming back along B. Khmelnitsky Street to town you will see John the Baptist’s Church in Stary Rynok (Old Market) Square. The tradition has it that it was built for Constance, Prince Leo’s wife, the daughter of Hungarian King Bell IV. As many other buildings of the time, the church suffered many restoralions. In 1855 it got a plaque to testify that the church was built in 1270. The date must have bearing to the wooden church, because it was built of stone only after 1371, which has been proved by the latest research.
The corner of I. Honta Street and 300-th Year of Re-Unification Square is formed by Mary of Snow’s Church, found by German colonists in the 14th century. The first written mention of the church goes bock to 1352. Originally built of wood, it survived till our time in a rather modified aspect.
Not far from Mary of Snow’s church, in Vetcheva Street is a valuable relic of the Renaissance architecture — St. Benedict nunnery, built in 1597 by Paul of Rome who came to Lviv from Italy in 80-ies of the 16th century.
On the premises of the ancient Rus Lviv there are monuments of later times. St, Martin’s church in Dekabrists Street dates back to 1630; the former missionary church and monastery in Kalinin Street, built in 1744, bears components of late baroque ornamentation.
We leave the Prince’s town and, going along Krakivska Street, reach the medieval town, built under the Magdeburg Law in the second half of the 14th century after ancient Rus Lviv was seized by Poland. The new town gaining in might and scope, the Prince’s town ceased to be centre and turned into a suburb which later got the name of Krakivsky.
The new town acquired the form of an irregular quadrangle, the northwest part being somewhat alogated. The central part was taken up by a spacious market square with a town hall in the centre. From each corner extended two streets fo which Halytska and Krakivska (the latter was known as Tatar Street up to the 16th century) were the main ones. The network of streets had a regular planning and was densely filled with buildings. The town was surrounded by fortified walls 1700,, metres long. Originally, Lviv had one ring of walls, a deep moat and a high rampart. The wall was crowned with merlons, macheecules .(recessed towers) and the inner upright surface carried wooden galleries. The invention of fire arms brough about a jiew system of fortifications. Just a wall with merlons for archers and rhacheecules to throw stones and pour boiling water from proved inadequate. 1418 witnessed the commencement of building a second — outer — wall with a moat and ramparts. There were towers on the wall and two gates to enter the city — the Halitsky and the Krakivsky gate. The first recording of the former dates back to 1382, the latter to 1586. The Halitsky gate was situated at the cross of presentday Halitska and Komsomolska Streets, the Krakivsky gate — at the cross of Krakivska and Lesya Ukrainka Streets. There was a drawbridge before each gate.
Посещение ресторанов и кафе в путешествиях отличный способ познать культуру страны. Сегодня поговорим о том где можно поесть в Дубае.