Close to the Royal arsenal is the St. Dominique church, a fine relic in baroque, one of the most monumental structures of the 18th c. The church takes the site of the former Gothic church, taken to pieces in 3745. The construction of a new one, designed by Jan de Witte (1716—1785) began which was supervised by Martin Urbanic and succeeded upon the latter’s death by C. Muradovich. The facade was by K. Fasinger.
Since 1972, upon its restoration, the church houses the History of Religion and Atheism Museum.
A peculiar instance of the Lviv town building is represented by Rynok Square which together with the Town Hall is the best architectural ensembles of Lviv. Since ancient times it served as trade and political centre of the town.
The square is approximately square in shape of 142 by 129 m. The centre is occupied by the Town Hall founded back in the 14th century, though subject to many reconstructions.
Rynok Square — the centre of the Lviv historico-architectural preserve— is a grand ensemble. Its four corner are marked with fountains bearing statues of Neptune, Amphitride, Dionysus and Diana, done by the sculptor Hartman Wittwer in 1797. Its four sides are formed by a complex of 44 buildings, different in style and period. Many of them bear traces of Renaissance, baroque, Empire and modern styles. Unfortunately not ali of them have preserved the purity of the style, all of them underwent greater or lesser changes due to numerous reconstructions, restorations, superstructure of upper storeys.
The basements and ground floors of many buildings bare traces of the original Gothic architecture of the 15th — early 16th centuries. Historical chronicles testify that the house facades in Rynok Square in the 16th and early 17th centuries were most diverse. Some were plastered, others of unplastered brick, the latter being of red kiln glazed brick. The glazed brick of diverse colour was used for ornament. The doors and windows were framed in carved white stone. The plastered buildings were dyed in diverse colours.
Going from Rynok Square along Ivan Franko National Guard Street one comes on to Teatralna Street, where houses Nos 10 and 12 catch the eye by the architectural ornament typical of the early 19th c. Empire-style. Nearby one sees the Jesuit church builty by the architect Jacob Bdiano (1589—1649) in 1610—1630. That is the first relic of baroque in Lviv, bearing traces of I Jesu in Rome by Vignola and Jacome della Porta.
Near it there is a modest one-storey building,of the former guard-house, built in 1829 in the architectural traditions of classicism.
The building, housing now the Natural Museum (18, Teatralna Street) built in the 30-ies of the 19th century by V. Razsky Senior, has a palace aspect.
A monumental building is the M. Zankovetska Theatre, built according to the design of the architect L. Pychl.
Beside it we see the Ivan Franko Opera House, built according to the project of Z. Gorgolewski in 1897—1900. The luxurious, pretentious building bears traces of eclecticism of the late 19th. The architect resorted to different elements or diverse styles and periods.
The sculpture and painting decoration of the house was effected by a group of talented artist. The stone sculpture was done by A. Peppel, the allegoric statues of Fame, Poetry and Music in copper by P. Wyitowich. the picturesque panel in the entrance hall by D. Kolovsky, T. Rybkowsky, M. Harasimovich, Z. Rozwadowsky, V. Krycinsky under A. Poppel.
In the entrance hall the sculpture was done by P. Herasymovich, the paintings by U. Zuber, 0. Augustinowich, S. Botowsky under S. Denitsky. The «Triumph of Fame» on the plafond is by S. Reisky. The House is not only an architectural, but a historical monument. Its stage was tred by outstanding signers and musicians, its halls witnessed events which proved historic.
In 1936 the House harbored the final meeting of the anti-fascist congress of workers of culture representing the progressive intelHgencia of Poland, West-Ukraine and West-Bielorussia, sponsored by the Communists to consolidate the united anti-fascist front.
Here, in those halls, on October 26—28, 1939, was held the National Convention of West Ukraine, which adopted historic decisions, part of which was to establish Soviet power in West Ukraine and the Declaration of Joining West Ukraine to the USSR as a part of the Ukrainian.
A few yards from the Opera House is the imposing building of the branch, of the Lenin Central Museum. The House was designed and built by K. Janowsky and L. Marconi in 1904 in the Vienn Renaissance style. Facing the Opera House is the monument to Y. I. Lenin, designed by S. D. Merkurov (1952).
From here we turn to one of the most ancient streets of Lviv — Kra-kivska. What arrests one’s eye here are House No 4 with ist unique harmonious lines of the facade of «the early 19th c, House No 9 with St. Onufry sculpture of the 18th century in a niche. House No 24 with its consoles balcony carved in stone, House No 34 with its original staircase and exquisite Empire style reliefs dating back to the early 19th century, the trade emblem relif on the house corner of Krakivska and Armianska Streets.
Let us give rein to imagination in order to go back to the 16th century. In those days there were gates leading from the corner of Krakivska and Armianska Streets, which separated the Armenian block from the rest of the town. We want to get to House No 20, opposite the Armenian Church. The house was built by Peter the Italian or, as he was known, Peter Italius from Lugano. In course of time the building has lost the aspect imparted to it by P. Italius, unchanged being only the portal, one of the best in the Renaissance architecture of Lviv.
Посещение ресторанов и кафе в путешествиях отличный способ познать культуру страны. Сегодня поговорим о том где можно поесть в Дубае.